Q & A
Membership benefits
Man i ett kontorslandskap

Income insurance

Our complementary income insurance is included in your membership in Naturvetarna, the Swedish Association of Professional Scientists. It supplements the unemployment insurance fund (a-kassa) in the event of temporary unemployment.

The income insurance is included in the membership fee to Naturvetarna. Compensation can be given up to a maximum of 80 percent of your previous income for a 150 day-period.


Qualifications for income insurance

In order to benefit from the income insurance you need to:

  • Have been a member of Naturvetarna for at least 12 months prior to unemployment. If you have been covered by another union's income insurance, that time can be credited towards the qualifying period, provided that the period is directly connected to your entry in Naturvetarna.
  • Be a member of and qualify for the unemployment insurance fund from Akademikernas a-kassa (AEA) for the relevant period. Membership of Akademikernas a-kassa is not included in your membership of Naturvetarna, and application must be made separately. In order to qualify for unemployment benefits you need to be available on the Swedish job market. If you do not have a general work permit this means that you may not qualify for the income insurance from Naturvetarna. You need to clarify this with Akademikernas a-kassa.
  • You must also be involuntarily unemployed and have worked at least twelve months in the past eighteen months before the onset of unemployment.

Read more about the criteria for our income insurance and contact the income insurance directly for more information.

Read more about Akademikernas a-kassa and their qualifications.


Apply for Compensation

To apply for compensation from Naturvetarna's income insurance, complete a form on the income insurance's website.


Additional income insurance

If you wish to extend the compensation period of the income insurance, you can sign up for a voluntary additional insurance. This extends the coverage by an additional 180 compensation days. The additional insurance has a qualifying period of 12 months and is valid until the end of the month before turning 65 years old.

If you earn over 100,000 SEK per month, you can also extend your coverage by up to 60,000 SEK/month.

Learn more about and sign up for additional insurance on the Income Insurance's website.

Last updated: